I have started a journey to being able to dunk. I can currently grab rim on a regulation 10 ft hoop but not able to dunk. In order to achieve my goal I will be implementing several techniques.
- Self Myofascial Release
- Jumping Exercises
- Flexibility Training
My lower body is super tight, which is my main impedance in being able to jump higher.
I’ve been having really bad insomnia the past couple days. I’ve had it my whole life, but it’s been bad recently. I will be trying to completely exhaust my body around 3 hours before I am ready to go to sleep. I am just going to do an intuitive workout until I am drained.
In my opinion the chest is one of my lagging body parts, so I will be adding more chest days for a while.
- Chin-Up- 1 set of 5
- Pull-Up-1 set of 5
- Push-Up- 1 set of 10
- One arm dumbbell press- 1 set of 10 (focus on contraction and mind muscle connection)
- Bench Press- 3 sets of 5 (heavy)
- Svend Press- 4 sets of 5
- Incline Dumbbell press- 3 sets of 10
- Dumbbell hammer press- 3 sets of 15
- Dumbbell Flye- 3 sets of 10
My whole body is feeling very tight today, so I will be doing mobility work, stretching and self massage.
I have had several chronic impingements in my body that I’ve never really had corrected:
- Winged shoulder blades
- Uneven traps
- Uneven shoulder height
- Tight hips
- Overall lack of flexibility
- Rounded shoulders
- Overall tight muscles
- Neck pain in muscle
- Outward pointed feet
So all through the day I will be working on all of those problems.
This workout is going to be similar to a HIIT workout, so it will be good for weight loss and/or overall body functionality, this is not a powerlifting or bodybuilding style workout like I normally do. So give this workout all you have, short rest periods and keep your heart rate up.
- Arm Circles- 30 seconds each way
- Jumping Jacks- 30 seconds
- High Knees- 30 seconds
- Standing Twists- 30 seconds
- Kettlebell Swing- 2 sets of 15
- Kettlebell Goblet Squat- 2 sets of 15
- Kettlebell Oblique Twist- 2 sets of 15
- Kettlebell Bent-Over Row- 2 sets 15
- Kettlebell Floor Press- 2 sets of 13
- Kettlebell Shoulder Shrugs- 2 sets of 15
Flexibility is a very important part of working out and playing sports, so I will be doing a short yoga session and foam rolling. The best time to stretch is after working out, since your muscles and warmed up.
Foam Roll- foam rolling is more intuitive, so just roll out whatever is sore
Yoga- I recommend finding a short beginners yoga routine video and go along with it.